GFA Announces Plans for 2012 Annual Conference and Forestry Expo
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012
The Georgia Forestry Association will hold its 2012 Annual Conference and Forestry Expo in
Savannah on July 7-9. Titled Navigating the Currents: Plotting the Course for Your Future in
Forestry, the meeting will feature leaders from state and national organizations who will share
their perspectives on the future of the forestry industry.
"We're excited to offer this opportunity to woodland owners, forest businesses, foresters
and other forestry professionals to build their contacts, expand their knowledge base and
better position themselves for success," said Georgia Forestry Association President Steve
The conference program begins Saturday evening with a welcome reception and continues
through Monday. Keynote speakers in order of appearance include:
• University of Georgia Center for Forest Business Director Bob Izlar and TimberMart-South Managing Director Tom Harris, who will speak on Forest Land to Ag Land Conversion.
• UGA College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Dean Scott Angle, who will give
a luncheon keynote on Macro Trends in Food, Fiber and Fuel.
• Wood Supply Research Institute Executive Director James G. Fendig, who will share
insights from the Supplier/Consumer Relationship Study.
• Regional, Federal and International Affairs Director Kristen Sawin, who will address the
Federalization of Forest Management.
• Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens, who will share his perspective on The Legal
Issues Impacting Georgia's Business Climate.
Attendees will have the option of attending one of two tours on Monday afternoon. One group
will tour the Garden City Terminal at the Georgia Ports Authority. A smaller group limited to 10
attendees will tour the East Coast Terminal at the Wood Pellet Export Facility.
The Georgia Forestry Foundation supports three programs – Project Learning Tree, the Tree
Farm Scholarship Program and the Teacher Conservation Workshop – with funds raised
through silent and live auctions at the Annual Conference. Attendees can bid on items in the
silent auction on Saturday and Sunday evenings. The live auction will be held Sunday evening
along with a raffle drawing, dinner and awards banquet.
The 2012 Annual Conference and Forestry Expo will be held at the Westin Savannah Harbor
Golf Resort and Spa. More information can be found on the Georgia Forestry Association
website at www.gfagrow.org or call 478-992-8110.